Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Ibn 'Umar: I Have Achieved Nothing in My Life!

Al-Bayhaqee also reported that Ibn ‘Umar [may Allaah be Pleased with him] once left al-Madeenah, travelling with some of his companions. When the time came to eat, they gathered around the mat at which point  a shepherd was passing by with his sheep. Ibn ‘Umar cried, “Oh shepherd, come and join us in our meal!” The shepherd excused himself by saying, “I am fasting.” Ibn ‘Umar then proclaimed, “You are fasting despite the heat of this day?! And you are looking after your animals despite the rough terrain of this mountain?! By Allaah! I have achieved nothing in my life!” .

Ibn Ma’een reported in his Taareekh (4/455) and al-Daynooree in al-Majaalasah (1/28) that Sa’eed bin Saalim said, “Rooh bin Zinnbaa’ was travelling and camped up at a place between Makkah and al-Madeenah. He prepared to eat his dinner, At which point a shepherd from behind the hills appeared, so Rooh called out to him, “Oh shepherd, join us in our food!” The shepherd replied, “I am fasting.” Rooh was startled, “You are fasting on a day with such intense heat!? All the acts of worship I have ever done are quashed compared to this act of yours.”

No comments:

Post a Comment