Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

"I Will Not Miss Anything From the Dunya, Except..."

Aboo Na’eem in Hilyah al-Awliyaa’ (2/88) reported that ‘Alqamah used to say, “I don’t cry at the fact that the Dunyaa is eventually going to finish, but I cry because I won’t be able to taste the thirst of fasting anymore or the pleasure of standing during the long nights in winter.”

Aboo Na’eem in Hilyah al-Awliyaa’ (8/23) reported that Ibraaheem bin Adham said, “If it wasn’t for three things in the Dunyaa, I wouldn’t mind being a spec from the creation of Allaah (i.e. something completely insignificant); fasting that brings about extreme thirst, standing the long nights in winter, and striving (to learn and implement) upon the Book of Allaah, the Glorified and the Exalted.”

Ibn Mubaarak (Pg. 95), al-Bayhaqee in Shu’ab al-Emaan (3/414) and Ibn ‘Asaakir in Taareekh Dimisqh (26/40) reported that as ‘Aamir bin ‘Abd Qays approached his death he began to cry. When asked why he was crying, he replied by saying, “I am not crying in fear of death, nor am I crying because I will miss the Dunyaa but I am crying because I will miss the thirst of fasting on a hot day and the standing the long winter nights.”

Ibn Abee ad-Dunyaa reported in al-Muhtadhareen  (Pg. 157) and Ibn ‘Asaakir in Tareekh Dimishq (31/196) reported that as Ibn ‘Umar approached his death he said, “I have no regrets from anything from the Dunyaa except three; I will miss the extreme thirst of fasting a hot day and the depths of the night and I regret that I did not fight the transgressing party of renegades (i.e. al-Hajjaaj bin Yoosuf).”

It is reported in Ibn Abee Shaybah (7/230) that Sa’eed bin Jubayr said upon the death of Ibn ‘Umar, “He will not miss anything except the extreme thirst of fasting a hot day and the joy of walking to the Salaat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment