Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2018

Chapter: The Beginning of the Revelation (Pt 2)

Then the Prophet returned therewith, his heart was trembling, and he went to Khadija and said: Wrap me up, wrap me up! So they wrapped him till the fear had left him. He then said to Khadija: O Khadija! what has happened to me? and he informed her of the happening, saying: I fear for myself. She replied: It can't be. Be happy. I swear by Allah that He shall never humiliate you. By Allah, you join ties of relationship, you speak the truth, you bear people's burden, you help the destitute, you entertain guests, and you help against the vicissitudes which affect people. Khadija then took him to Waraqa b. Naufal b. Asad b. 'Abd al-'Uzza, and he was the son of Khadija's uncle, i. e., the brother of her father. And he was the man who had embraced Christianity in the Days of Ignorance (i. e. before Islam) and he used to write books in Arabic and, therefore, wrote Injil in Arabic as God willed that he should write. He was very old and had become blind Khadija said to him: O uncle! listen to the son of your brother. Waraqa b. Naufal said: O my nephew! what did you see? The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), then, informed him what he had seen, and Waraqa said to him: It is namus that God sent down to Musa. Would that I were then (during your prophetic career) a young man. Would that I might be alive when your people would expel you! The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Will they drive me out? Waraqa said: Yes. Never came a man with a like of what you have brought but met hostilities. If I see your day I shall help you wholeheartedly.

It is narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Abdullah that he heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) says:
The wahi was intermitted for me for a small span of time and while I was walking, and then the hadith like the one narrated by Yunus was transmitted but with the exception of these words: I was terror-stricken till I fell on the ground. Abu Salama said: Defilement means idols. After this the revelation was speeded up and followed rapidly.

Explanation

The incident with Waraqah bin Nawfal bin Asad 
-he was the cousin of Khadeejah bint Khuwaylid bint Asad but she addressed him as uncle out of respect
-they had the same grandfather, Asad
-he became a Christian in the time of Jahilliyyah
-he was well versed both Hebrew and Arabic
-he was well-versed in the old and new testaments and would be able to carry on writing from any place from them
-Namoos is something that brings good news in privacy 
-"Jasoos" is the opposite of "Namoos", as it brings about bad news in privacy.
-the scholars are agreed that al-Namoos is another name for Jibreel and he had this name as he had been given the role to give the message of the revelation 

Benefits from the Hadith of Jabir
-Jaabir was of the opinion that Mudatthir was the first thing to be revealed but the correct view is that of Aaishah and majority which is that it was Iqra'.

Sharh Sahih Muslim, 2/219-232

No comments:

Post a Comment