Pages

Monday, January 07, 2013

Milad an-Nabi: The Life of the Messenger of Allaah in His Grave

Question: Is the Prophet alive in his grave or not? And does he know what is happening in the Dunya? If someone believes in this, does this mean he is doing Shirk?

Many of the scholars of Ahl as-Sunnah have explained that the prophet is alive in his grave in the sense of the life of Barzakiyyah, or the life that exits in the grave, we don’t know how this is and this knowledge is with Allaah, the Most High. It is not like the life of the Dunyaa, rather it is a form of life in which that the Prophet lives in pleasure in which he hears the Salaam/ Salutations of the Muslims, at which point his soul is restored periodically by Allaah, the Most High, so that he may respond. All of this has been narrated in narrations, such as the one narrated by Aboo Dawood with an Isnaad which is Hasan;
On the authority of Abu Hurayrah [May Allaah be Pleased with him] that the Messenger of Allaah [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] said: “There is no one who sends salutations/Salaam upon me but Allaah will restore my soul so that I may return his salutations/Salaam.” [Classed as Saheeh in Saheeh Sunan Abee Dawood by Shaykh al-Albaanee (1795)]

It is also been reported al-Bazzaar with an Isnaad which is Hasan on the authority of Ibn Ma’sood [May Allaah be Pleased with him] that the Prophet [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] said, “Verily, Allaah has Angels that travel through the land and they deliver the Salaam or the salutations that my Ummah send upon me.” [Narrated by al-Nasaa’ee (1282) and Classed as Saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (2170)]
And [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] said,

“Do not take your houses like graveyards and do not take my grave as a place of you repeatedly visit; send Blessings upon me because your greetings will reach me no matter where you are.” [Narrated by Aboo Dawood (2042) and classed as Saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (7226)]
And there are many other narrations. The point being that he is now living a life of the Barzakh which is a life which is even more perfect than that of the martyrs about which Allaah, the Most High, describes:

Think not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah as dead. Nay, they are alive, with their Lord, and they have provision.” [Aal-Imraan 3:169]
And

And say not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah, "They are dead." Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not.” [Baqarah 2:154]
The soul of the Prophet [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] is more virtuous than the souls of the martyrs in status with Allaah, the Most High, therefore this makes his life in the Barzakh even more complete and pleasurable than those who have been accepted as martyrs.

However, just because he has this perfect life in the Barzakh, it doesn’t mean he knows the unseen or that he knows the affairs of the Dunya, rather he has died and his connection to the Dunya has also ceased. This is based on the statement,
“When a man dies, all his good deeds come to an end except three: ongoing charity; beneficial knowledge; and a righteous son who will pray for him.” [Narrated by Muslim (1631)]

And he [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] said:
“I will reach the Cistern ahead of you. Whoever comes to it will drink and whoever drinks from it will never thirst again. Some people will come to me whom I will recognize and they will recognize me, but then a barrier will be placed between me and them.” Abu Haazim said: al-Nu’maan ibn Abi ‘Ayyaash heard me narrating this hadeeth and said: “Is that how you heard Sahl say it?” I said, “Yes.” He said: “I bear witness that I heard Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri add: and he [meaning the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] said: ‘They are from me.” And it will be said; “You do not know what they did after you were gone.” And I will say, “Away with those who changed after I was gone!”’”

[Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6528) and Muslim (4243) from the Hadeeth of Sahl (May Allaah be Pleased with him)]. 
There are other Ahadeeth which are similar to this all explaining that the Prophet doesn’t know the unseen during the time he was alive, then how about after he has died?

Allaah, the Most High, commands His Messenger to tell the people:
Say (O Muhammad): ‘I don't tell you that with me are the treasures of Allah, nor (that) I know the unseen; nor I tell you that I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me by inspiration." Say: "Are the blind and the one who sees equal? will you not then take thought?’” [An’aam 6:50]

And,
Say (O Muhammad): ‘I possess no power of benefit or hurt to myself except as Allah wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghaib (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe.’” [A’raaf 7:188]

And the evidences to prove that he doesn’t know the unseen are many. If this is case for the Prophet, then this is even more so applicable others from the creation; that they don’t know the unseen either.
Whoever believes and calls the people to this belief, that the Prophet knows the unseen, then he is attributing a lie to Allaah as A’aishah [May Allaah be Pleased with her] has reported in saying. The incident revolving around this statement that she made occurred when some people left out for an expedition and some of the hypocrites and those following them started to spread rumours that A’aishah (al-Ifk) had done something bad and clarity and her declaration of innocence didn’t come until Aayaat were revealed concerning her blamelessness. Had the Prophet known the unseen then her innocence would have been declared by the Prophet and he wouldn’t have waited until Aayaat were revealed about her. This incident had begun when A’aishah lost her necklace and she quested to find it and she returned only to find that the camp had left without her and the necklace was in the place where her camel had been resting. Had the Prophet [Peace and Blessings of Allaah be Upon him] known the unseen, then he would have known that she was left behind and that she had lost her necklace.

And there are many narrations that prove that he didn’t know the unseen but what I have mentioned should be sufficient, if Allaah Wills.
[Majmoo Fataawa of Shaykh ‘Abdul-‘Azeez bin Baaz (2/386/388)]

No comments:

Post a Comment